Choir of Trinity College, Cambridge
The present mixed Choir of Trinity College, Cambridge was formed in 1982, following the admission of women undergraduates to Trinity College, but the choral associations of the College date back to the establishment of The King’s Hall by Edward II in 1317. This College, incorporated by Edward III in 1337, was amalgamated with an adjacent early fourteenth-century foundation, Michaelhouse, when Henry VIII created Trinity College in 1546. The constitution of the mediaeval chapel choir remains obscure, but the choral foundation which Mary Tudor established in 1553 survived essentially unchanged for more than 300 years. Although the College choir-school was closed down in the late 1890s, a choir of boy trebles, lay clerks and students continued the regular pattern of choral services until the 1950s. During Raymond Leppard’s tenure as Director of Music this traditionally constituted body of singers then gave way to a choir of undergraduate tenors and basses whose existence continued until 1982.